Friday, June 21, 2013

Forest Fire

     Ever since my stunning night at Manifesto in Kansas City I have had a soft spot for this bar in my heart. Remembering, not so much, more reviewing the menu, online, I am coerced by the Beautiful Red Bell of a night long gone.  But more recently I had been researching cocktails on Post Prohibition and came across El Comediante  and was again intrigued by the red bell pepper cocktails. So let's make something, huh?
     Infusing red bell pepper into silver rum was rather simple. All one needs is a knife, a bell pepper, some rum, and a container... and about 24 hours. The real task for this drink becomes balance. My first attempt was a cocktail of four parts red bell pepper (RBP) rum, one part lime juice, one part falernum all shaken up and strained over ice with a ginger ale topper and a red wine float. A descent enough drink but many declared that it didn't have enough "spice", or kick from the said belle pepper. I had to remind them that the red bell pepper is the sweetest of all peppers. That being said I wasn't at all satisfied either. The red wine I float was giving me a rather vinegary taste on the initial sip, but that could be fixed.
     Trial number two produced a cocktail much to all's liking. I cut back the falernum and introduced a bit of allspice dram, that should bring the spice level up. The drink was well balanced with a definitive red bell pepper flavor and a finishing spiciness.
Forest Fire 
1.5 oz. RBP infused rum
0.25 oz. Velvet Falernum
0.5 oz. homemade allspice dram
0.5 oz. lime juice
-shake and strain over ice
near fill with ginger ale
float dry red wine (nero d'avola or nebbiolo)

No comments:

Post a Comment