Monday, June 24, 2013

Supreme Poet

     Rhubarb season is here, and that entices me.  I love rhubarb and have always wanted to play with it in a cocktail.  Thankfully my allies in arms, the sous chef and all the other cooks had brought some in to make rhubarb jam.  I'll just reallocate that to the bar.  Nothing like a little fresh rhubarb juice and pulp to get the creative juices flowing.  After making a quick 1:1 simple syrup with the rhubarb juice, let the experimenting begins. I knew I'd be using Aperol but that was only the basis for this cocktail. I was thinking something akin to the Dulchin or the Final Rhuse.
     Trial one; cachaca and grappa mixed with Aperol and lemon juice.  Now that's a funky cocktail, but where is the rhubarb?  Trial number two; contemporary gin, Aperol, lemon and syrup.  Ok, we're getting close but man that syrup is subtle.  The final hope is a venture I don't take willingly, vodka.  I tend to find vodka an abomination that should be left to college kids and people who don't like flavor.  It's whole purpose it to be "flavorless".  With this in mind the rhubarb should shine through.  A quick equal parts cocktail a dash of bitters and yes let's throw some crushed rhubarb in for good measure.  I think we have it.
     The result is a light cocktail with a subtle hint of rhubarb and just the right amount of bitterness. Well rounded I must say and perfect for the summer heat.






Supreme Poet
(1) 1" chunk of rhubarb
0.75 oz. Vodka (Stolichnaya)
0.75 oz. Aperol
0.75 oz. rhubarb syrup
0.75 oz. lemon juice
1 dash Fee's Grapefruit bitters
- muddle, shake and strain, rosemary sprig garnish

No comments:

Post a Comment